Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A day in the life of an executive recruiter

I've been an executive recruiter for about 10 months now. One of the biggest reasons I enjoy what I do is I get to match people with their next ideal opportunity. It is one of the greatest thrills to call someone with news of a job offer. I had the opportunity to extend TWO offers to two separate people on the same day. The first offer was for a $250K CMO position at a very prestigious organization in Chicago. My candidate, receiving the offer, is a 30-year old superstar who was not on the market that I convinced to interview with them. We extended the offer, and she had the nerve to ask for A LOT more! "You're 30-years old!" And, she informed us that she needed to digest the offer over her week vacation. Apparently, all business is supposed to be put on hold for her for the week. If I was the client, I would have written her off because that definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What a slap in the face!

My second offer went to a candidate who is on the brink on losing her job. Granted, she did have an offer from another company, but this company may not be around in two years. I found her a great opportunity with more money, more stability, a chance to build a brand, more vacation time, and a bigger title! First, she wanted equity, and now she wants to "think about" it for a few days.

We're in a tough economy. If you are offered a great opportunity at a stable company, take it. If you have to wonder if your position will be around in a few years, then it's probably not a company you want to be at. Companies are bending over backwards for solid talent. If they want you, then work with them (and us!) to make it happen. Budge a little! You're only 30!

No comments: